Sunday, February 6, 2011

Connectivism (reflection)


How has your network changed the way you learn?
As a visual journalist for the past 13 years, my network has challenged my knowledge and the way I gather information. Initially, information was given to our department by reporters and editors and we forced to make the information look appealing.

In more recent years, visual journalist began to do their own research, write content and drawn charts, maps and diagrams to tell stories. Computer assisted reporting, searching government to public databases, software online communities aided in my growth to analyzing data better and becoming more efficient in my software knowledge.

Which digital tools best facilitate learning for you?
Several digital tools facilitate my learning. Here are a few:
video tutorials (Video Copilot, Lynda.com), databases (public/government), medical journals, online software communities (i.e. Creative Cow, Stratacafe), online portfolios (carbonmade.com), blogs and RSS feeds.

These tools allow for immediate feedback, inspire creativity, cooperative learning, healthy dialogue, contain multileveled experienced users, which aids in the learning process.

How do you gain new knowledge when you have questions?
Most often, I refer to an expert in the field associated with my inquiry. If I have a software question, I refer to Creative Cow. If I have a medical-related question, I refer to a medical doctor. If have an auto mechanical question, I refer to a certified mechanic.

While receiving the information, I process the data, try to make sense of it and sometimes compare it to acquired indirect knowledge. Once processed, I usually talk to other people within my network about it. This approach makes allows me to make the knowledge gathering an experience, thus making the information easy to retain.

In what ways does your personal learning network support or refute the central tenets of connectivism?
As a constant seeker or knowledge, connectivism aligns with my personal learning network. Connectivism can be likened to a well-woven basket – where each fiber touches and connects to another forming network. The cross hatching are synonymous to the exchange of information.

I remember getting trained in AC3 this past summer. After the training, I had questions about code. I would turn to teammates for assistance, browse the web, make inquiries on different visual design sites, and conduct live chat with colleagues and friends around the globe.

From the experience I learned that you could gain the same result by using different coding. Yet some code was more simple and clean.

According to George Siemens, “connectivism is driven by the understanding that decisions are based on rapidly altering foundations. New information is continually being acquired and the ability to draw distinctions between important and unimportant information is vital. Also critical is the ability to recognize when new information alters the landscape based on decisions made yesterday” (Siemens, 2005).

Connectivism is rooted in networks. It’s vital to access networks – of people, of technology, of social structures, of systems, of power grids, etc. – so that communities can exchange ideas, expand thinking, thereby “cross-pollinating the learning environment (Siemen, 2005).

One of connectivism principles states, “While there is a right answer now, it may be wrong tomorrow due to alterations in the information climate affecting the decision” (Siemens, 2005). What do you think? Is connectivism unparalleled to other learning theories that factor in the digital age?

David Armano provides a great diagram depicting networks:









References
Siemens, G. (2005, January). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. International Journal of Instructional Technology & Distance Learning, Retrieved February 6, 2011, from http://www.itdl.org/Journal/Jan_05/article01.htm








No comments:

Post a Comment